I have finally finished my Liberty dress, and now
deliberating what to make next. I am going on holiday to Greece this September and really want to make some nice holiday clothes. These are my current contenders.
It has definitely been a project of firsts for me.
I started by making a mock-up of the bodice. After two attempts I realised I really needed to make my first FBA. I then made another two mock-ups with this alteration as well as altering the armholes, deepening the front darts and lengthening the torso.
I really didn’t like the bubble skirt so decided to go with a gathered skirt instead. I trawled the internet for advice and then drafted out 3 rectangular pieces. I also wanted it to have pockets so used the pocket pattern pieces from my Beignet skirt.
The bodice is lined with light cotton and originally so was the skirt, but when I finished constructing the dress I realised I’d attached the lining in with the zip. This meant that I then had to hem them both together rather than separately. However, when I did this it made the whole thing too bulky.
I really didn’t want to rip out the concealed zip as I’d spent so much time and effort getting it right in the first place. I decided the best thing was to cut out the lining.
I was extremely nervous about doing this, in case I (once again) cut a hole in the middle of my material. The inside of the dress is no longer as pretty as it once was, but I am still glad I did it.
After numerous attempts at hemming, the dress was finally finished.
It was good and definitely wearable but the waist was just a little baggy. I knew I really needed to take the front darts in a bit more but to do this I’d need to take the whole thing apart. I decided that instead I’d make a sash belt with the left over material. This worked fine, but I knew it still wasn’t right.
In a moment of madness I unpicked the skirt and the lining. Fingers crossed, I will not regret this and finally be able to post a finished dress…….
There are two things that I hate about sewing, hemming and ripping
out stitches, and for me they go hand in hand.
I am nearly finished my first dress but have so far attempted
to hem it 5 times and once again I’ve ripped it out.
I have tried various types of hems, and after making my Biegnet Skirt my current favourite is the blind hem.
It is a bit fidgety but it looks
good and it hides my squinty lines. However, it doesn’t matter what type of hem
I make I always seem to struggle. I waste hours trying to finish off my
projects when it really should be a simple task. Desperate to improve my
hemming skills I started looking for tips online.
I have now came to the conclusion that it’s not my hemming that
is at fault but my cutting out!
Every project I’ve made so far I’ve had to shorten, and when
I piece it all together there are always parts that are different lengths or not
particularly straight. It’s never bothered me before as I always think well it’ll
be fine when I hem it.
I really am an idiot sometimes; you would have thought I’d
have made the link by now!
I will definitely be investing in a cutting mat and rotary
cutter rather than always free-styling it on my kitchen table with my scissors
and measuring tape. Fingers crossed this will improve my hems.
I know it has been a while since I’ve posted here… However,
in that time I have been working away and I have finally finished my Beignet
skirt with Liberty buttons.
I even wore
it to a Django Django gig, and after much dancing and jumping around it didn't
fall apart!!! I did take a needle,
thread and extra safety pins just in case, but luckily they weren’t needed at
I spent a lot of time constructing it, and there was a point
where I was convinced it wasn’t going to fit. I persevered and after altering the lining and
sewing on all the buttons it somehow came together.
Now, I have read on many occasions the importance of
pre-washing your fabric, and I really should have learned by now not to cut
corners, but as you can guess this is something that I have never bothered to
Surprise Surprise, the first time I washed my skirt it
This time the sewing gods must have taken pity on me, as it
now fits even better than before. I can’t believe how lucky I’ve been. I will definitely
pre-wash my fabric in the future.
It was my birthday a few weeks ago and I was delighted with my
new pinking shears. Ok, so they may not be an overlocker, but they're a lot
quicker than zigzag stitching and use a lot less thread!
However, I wasn’t expecting the belated birthday treat I received
I love Liberty of London fabrics but
think I need to improve my sewing a bit more before I dare to make something
from them. So imagine my glee when I received my very own Liberty sewing box,
buttons and pin cushion.
I love them and they include the perfect buttons for
the Beignet skirt I plan to make very soon.